I once heard J.I. Packer say, “The Holy Spirit works through habits of holiness.” I don’t remember the context, but I was so impressed with the wording that I wrote it on the opening page of Romans in my New Testament, which was all I had to write on at the time.
How right he was!
And the question is whether or not your habits—and don’t kid anyone, you live a large share of your life by habit—are holy or not.
What a great self-examining question that is!
You see the problem with habits is that they are often the CAUSE of our difficulties with God and others.
- Comfortable – like old shoes; they fit us well.
- Automatic – you don’t have to tell yourself, “do It,” you just do it.
- Unconscious – you begin to do something before you realize it.
- Skillful – The plausible lie is out of your mouth before you know it.
- Embedded – difficult to break.
Indeed, so difficult that by God’s grace they must be replaced with their biblical alternatives. That is, with “Habits of holiness”—WHAT A WONDERFUL PHRASE!
Check out our online courses, including, Introduction to Nouthetic Counseling and The Use of Scripture in Counseling, taught by Jay Adams!
Books related to counseling others:
- Competent to Counsel by Jay Adams
- The Christian Counselor’s Manual by Jay Adams
- How to Help People Change by Jay Adams
- Check out our Bookstore for all the best counseling books!
The Christian Counselor’s New Testament and Proverbs, translated by Jay Adams
Visit our online bookstore for all your biblical counseling resource needs.
For more biblical counseling training, check out our list of INS Online Courses.
Follow INS on Social Media:
– Facebook: noutheticstudies
– Twitter: @noutheticstud
– Instagram: @noutheticstudies